Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Zeptember 1, 2015: Immigrant Song

Hello, friend.

It's a few years down the road since I last did this.  Regardless, the month of Zeptember starts today.

Kicking off Zeptember 2015 is Immigrant Song.  Three years ago when I started the Zeptember project, Immigrant Song had a place in it.

Today, Immigrant Song comes to mind because of my son. Z is celebrating his 10th birthday today. The kids all know of my love of Led Zeppelin. I play it a lot, and when a song pops on the radio, I'll call it out.  One evening a few months ago as Zach got into the shower, I heard a sound from him, and as it repeated, I recognized it  - even through the wall and with the sound of the running water - as the opening wails of Immigrant Song.  I couldn't make out the rest of the words, but it was clear he was continuing on with the song.

The music the kids listen to is representative of what they hear from their parents and peers. His older sister is a big country music fan.  As a parent and fan of Led Zeppelin, it was so cool to hear him singing it.   Being a careful parent, I want my kids to like things because they like them, not because I do.  This is a message I've tried to convey to them, whether it is about books, movies, music, or the sports teams I cheer for.

Immigrant Song is so cool because it's all there right away. No slow intro, just 113 BPM. Form start to finish it is heavy bass, solid drums, guitar and Robert Plant's signature vocals.


So let's kick off another Zeptember. Immigrant Song.



No comments:

Post a Comment