Thursday, September 27, 2012

Bring It On Home


I met some outstanding people at the University of Minnesota-Duluth.  Some of these guys became my closest friends. One thing we shared was a love for good music.  Dave was a big Stevie Ray Vaughn guy. Jeff loved MetallicA.  I had the Zeppelin thing going.  The other guys liked Zeppelin, just as I like MetallicA and SRV; we just each had our favorites.

Friday and Saturday nights were nights to sit back and relax and party. Parties for us meant beer, wop, friends,  and music.

I don't remember when it exactly it was, but we fell in love listening to "Bring It On Home" for a while. This song starts out with a great harmonica part by Robert Plant and bass by Jones, as a tribute to Sonny Boy Williamson; slow, heavy blues. Plant dropped his voice down and muddies it up a bit with the microphone he used and some effects.

At about the 1:45 point, the harmonica trails off and the Jimmy Page's electric guitar kicks this song into gear.  This is the point we guys went from sitting around with our heads hanging down and listening to stomping our feet and air guitaring. 

This song is always a reminder of those days, those guys, the time we had and how simple life was.  Friday and Saturday night parties.  I'm glad to still have these guys as my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment