Friday, September 7, 2012

In My Time of Dying


In this blog, I've been trying to relate some personal experiences about Led Zeppelin's songs, and what they mean, or have meant, in my life.  Today, we'll give a glimpse to my future, and what I hope to have happen.

Ever stop to think about your own funeral?

We've all been to a lot of them.  We're sad to have lost our family member, or friend. Mayhap it was a sudden loss, or they were ailing for a while and death was a delivery from the bonds of disease.  Young or old, it's a time of mourning and grief.  I've been to sanctuaries and funeral homes. Some full of people; standing room only. Others have been a few family members. 

At every funeral I have been to, there has been music.  Church hymns, inspirational songs that the dearly beloved had always enjoyed.   If the decedent was Irish, you may hear "Danny Boy."  For fallen policemen or firefighters, a bagpiper is there to play "Amazing Grace." 

Well, at my funeral, of the music to be played, there are two certainties:  the hymn "Abide by Me," and Led Zeppelin's "In My Time of Dying."  This opening lines to the song succinctly wrap up the thoughts I have on death:
In my time of dying, want nobody to mourn
All I want for you to do is take my body home

"In My Time of Dying" is Zeppelin's longest studio piece, clocking in at just over 11 minutes. It wasn't intended to be, but this isn't a song, it's a jam.   You can't edit a jam.  At the 5 minute mark, they really get into business, and If I am in the car, I need to be driving through town or have the cruise control set. If I don't, I'm bound  to hit the gas and make a trail.

I want this song played at my funeral for it to be my last word. The last notes rolling through people's heads, to be that of Zeppelin and the joy that I hear at that 5 minute mark. The ushers will be instructed that after about 7 minutes they can start to let people leave the room, but if they do, they're going to miss the end, where they trail off, Plant singing "Lord won't you make this my dyin', dyin', dyin'…. "  and someone coughs.  Plant doesn't miss a beat, and …. well, listen to it for yourself.

In 2009, a Davis Guggenheim film titled "It Might Get Loud" was released.  This documentary profiled Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin, The Edge from U2, and Jack White from any number of projects.  I went to this film on opening night with my pal, Chang.  I went to see the Jimmy Page parts, and left with a tremendous amount of respect for all three, especially for Jack White and what he's doing with music today.  The guy is a genius.   Throughout the film, we're brought to a sound set where the three are sitting around on some couches, guitars near by and they talk and then play together. Toward the end of the film, the three launch into "In My Time of Dying."  I may not have breathed during this part of the film; i certainly was weeping.  It is so beautiful a thing to see these three greats jamming together on this song. I hope you also enjoy listening to them.  If you like what you hear, or enjoy any or all three of these artists, I strongly encourage you to take the time to watch this film. 


No comments:

Post a Comment