Friday, September 14, 2012

Gallows Pole


I've got a couple brothers, and a couple sisters. I'm pretty blessed that they're part of my life, and when I say part of, I mean we talk on the phone every couple weeks and otherwise communicate through emails and texts.  We see each other a few times a year. My brothers and I all live within about 50 miles of each other; my sisters are bit further away, and honestly, we communicate less than my brothers and I do.  It's nothing personal, just how things are.  (One sister is a step-sister, and spent most of her time living at her mom's, and my other sister is a lot younger than me).

I have other friends where their siblings are more a part of their life. I'm glad that works for them. This is what is working for us.  We're friends, brothers/sisters. Loyal to each other, but also independent and watching out for ourselves too.

I also have some great friends, and some I consider to be closer to me than my brothers.  It's mostly because of what we have in common.  My friend Dane and I have had some life experiences together that my brothers and I haven't.  We can relate to certain things from school, or people.  While I lived with my brothers for a great number of years, during some very formative times, I lived with Dane, and I think I have a much stronger bond with him than I do my brothers.

I love my brothers and sisters, as well as many of my friends that I consider to be a sister or brother.  In the song "Gallows Pole," the brother brings silver and gold to attempt to save the life of the narrator.  The sister pays a greater price, yet it's all in vain.  The hangman still pulls the rope.  

Would I do anything for my brothers and sisters?  My closest friends?  Yeah, I'd probably do anything I could to save them, or help them out.   (Thankfully, they're all smart enough to not get into situations where I'd need to do anything where a hangman's noose will be around their neck. )

A great song; Page plays the banjo. Like on "Battle of Evermore" and the mandolin, Page had never played the banjo before; he just picked it up and went with it.  It starts with guitar, and as the desperation grows, more voices and frenzy enter the mix. 

Happy birthday to my little brother today.

No comments:

Post a Comment