Thursday, September 6, 2012

Travelling Riverside Blues


In 1990, Atlantic Records released a 4-CD or 4-casette tape Led Zeppelin box set.  I picked up the cassette version at the Musicland store at Ridgedale Mall, using some Christmas money.   After I got it, I brought my brothers back home, then raced over to my friend Pat's house to share the bounty.

This box set provided digitally remastered tracks from the studio albums. Not every song was included, to the chagrin of many; but to our delight, two previously unreleased tracks were included.  One of those was "Travelling Riverside Blues," a song written by blues master  Robert Johnson.  Johnson recorded his version in 1937.  Led Zeppelin recorded their version 32 years later, with the benefit of amps, effects, and Mr. Jimmy Page.

A foot stompin' blues song, Zeppelin's version borrowed Johnson's lyrics (not just from this song, but other Johnson songs as well), but little else.  Some of the lines that Johnson wrote are just pure gold, and I'm not just talking about the "squeeze my lemon" line. The best one is:
She's got a mortgage on my body, got a lien on my soul 

Beyond the lyrics, this tribute song is a Jimmy Page feature from the start; the lead guitar track is supplemented by dubbed-in background tracks by Page.  Bonham, as usual is awesome on the skins,  keeping the beat and tossing in a bunch of triplets on the bass. 

Give a listen to both versions of this song.  I dare you to not be at least tapping your foot along with the band.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment