Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ten Years Gone


If someone asked me what contemplation sounds like, I would play Led Zeppelin's "Ten Years Gone."   The opening bars of the song cause me to stop what I'm doing and reflect.  That theme resonates through the song.

There is beautiful music, and with it some emotional lyrics.  This song again is about relationships; this one, of love lost, and love powerful enough to remind bring to mind ten years later the bonds that existed.

This song is layers deep with guitar. There are different voices; acoustic played alone, which  to me represents the first thoughts that the singer has; the first train of thought that starts a flood of thoughts about his lost love.  As additional voices join in, it's the other thoughts and tracks that branch out from the first.  Each voice with it's own independence, and when joined together form a beautiful harmony.  The thoughts don't ever stop; they keep going. There's not a natural break or stop of a chorus and return to a verse section in this song. It continues to flow.

The  money line comes in the middle  of the song.  These lines cause my chest to tighten up; my breathing stops; I can feel my heart drumming it's beat against my sternum.
Did you ever really need somebody, and really need 'em bad?
Did you ever really want somebody, the best love you ever had?

Have you? Have you felt that?  Have you felt a love so intense that your very existence seems to be in the balance?   This is a love that is beyond the Ward & June Cleaver type of love.  This is a type where you see a look across a room from your lover you know is meant only for you.  The look of devotion, respect, trust.  Love. The smile that forms not because of something someone else said, but because You Just Know that you are loved in a way that nobody has loved you Before, or Ever Will Again.  A touch on your arm as Love passes by that electrifies your entire body. 

I have written this month about listening to Led Zeppelin, and the happy thoughts and sad thoughts, or other memories and feelings that particular songs raise in me.    "Ten Years Gone" evokes all manner of emotions - happyness, sadness, love, fun times, passion - in one song. 

Of all the songs in the catalog, this one is my favorite.  It is perfection.


No comments:

Post a Comment